Confusion, stress, and anxiety are all common reactions to car accidents. You need to make tough decisions after a collision, decisions that will affect your life for the rest of your life.
You can significantly impact the value of the compensation you can recover for your injuries by what you do at the scene of the accident and in the days following the accident. Figuring out the best course of action can seem overwhelming when you’re suffering from injuries and concerned about how you’re going to pay for the expenses ahead.
Here’s what to do after you’ve been involved in or injured in a car accident:
Slowly and steadily, take in several deep breaths. Relax your nervous system by focusing on your breathing and focusing on the present moment to develop a sense of calm and relaxation.
You should assess your mental and physical health. If you have been injured, seek medical attention right away. The damage you might sustain from a soft tissue or brain injury may not be immediately apparent since some injuries have no symptoms. The shock of the accident can sometimes mask the pain you’re experiencing, so don’t be surprised if you’re still hurting a day or two later. Schedule an appointment with your doctor. You can call us if you aren’t sure where to go. Let us connect you with a medical professional who can help.
Police should be notified of the collision. Call 911 if anyone is injured. For non-emergency calls, dial the Atlanta Police Department at (404) 546-6900. Get in touch with the Georgia State Patrol if you’re on a Georgia state road.
You need to find out who the players are. What is the name of the other driver? What is their driver’s license number? What was the type of vehicle they were driving? What is the name of their insurance company? Were there any witnesses to the collision? Learn as much as you can about any other parties involved. You’ll need them.
Explain your situation to your employer by phone. “Hi, I was in a car accident today, and I’m going to see a doctor. I’ll call you at the end of the day to let you know how I’m doing. I won’t be coming in today.”
Contact the Atlanta car accident lawyers at Issa & Castro before filing an insurance claim. But why? Your own insurance company, as well as other insurance companies, are more concerned about protecting their profits than your health. Typically, investigators ask questions that do not reveal the whole picture, so you will be asked to give a written statement. As a result, they will undervalue your case.
How much is your case worth?
We’re all aware that lawyers are widely known for making their multimillion-dollar deals public. We know from personal experience that such people will happily exchange their health and mobility for money at any time. In any case, accidents cost a great deal, and you deserve compensation for an event that was not your fault.
How much does your lawsuit really cost? Our standard response to your inquiry is, “It depends.” We are not trying to avoid answering your question in any way. You decide. Insurance policy limits and crash conditions are different in every case. Lawyers may give different answers.
During one of our client’s lawsuits, they were told the case was worthless. We were able to settle the same case for $1,000,000. Does this happen often? Could you face the same situation? It all depends. The only way to find out for sure is to speak with a car accident lawyer.
Zoom allows us to do free case evaluations, so you don’t need to leave your home to meet with us. Based on our nearly two decades of experience and competence in almost every Georgia county courtroom, we will listen to your story and offer our opinion.
we're ready to fight for you
Ok, but how much do you charge after the free consultation?
We provide contingency-based services, meaning we don’t get paid until you do.
The contingency fee is based on the fact that we only get paid when you get paid. This allows us to concentrate on what you care about most: managing your claim and maximizing your recovery. We’ll make sure your documentation, investigation, and negotiation requirements are met, and we’ll do it all free of charge.
You can schedule a free case consultation by calling or texting 770-LAWSUIT today to discover what aggressive and empathetic representation can do for you after an automobile accident.
Couldn’t I just handle this on my own?
You can certainly file a claim with your insurance company. You can schedule an appointment with your doctor. You have the choice of accepting or rejecting any offer. You do not need an attorney. Hiring one, however, isn’t a bad idea.
Here’s how lawyers like us can help.
What happens to your body and automobile after a car accident is just the tip of the iceberg. A customer of ours was in a small car accident and received no visible injuries, but then his condition quickly deteriorated into painful neck stiffness that severely restricted his movement.
Despite the fact that things may seem fine for now, we want to find out what long-term effects this may have. To protect your health now and in the future, we will keep in touch with your doctors.
In addition to repairs, you will need to budget for doctor visits and other expenses. Your income will be affected if you miss work. You will be responsible for paying for any therapy or medication prescribed to you. In order to avoid harming your finances, we can help you track and recover these expenses.
Moreover, we will take care of dealings with the insurance companies on your behalf, so you don’t have to worry about making a mistake. As we safeguard your short- and long-term interests, you will be stress-free and able to recover.
Our preparation for trial will help you build a stronger case. Usually, a disagreement can be resolved without going to court. Don’t get hung up on it. Nevertheless, we will not treat your case as if it is already resolved. We will prepare our cases as if they are going to trial. Having a respected advocate fighting for you ensures that the insurance company won’t be able to take advantage of you.
You can rest easy knowing that we’ll take care of everything for you. It is complex to handle personal injury cases, and many decisions must be made throughout the process, each of which has its own set of implications. You’ll receive strategic advice so you can decide whether to accept or reject any offers that come your way. This includes whether to settle or to go to trial.
I’m interested. What kinds of cases do you handle?
We specialize in the strategic resolution of the following issues:
In the event of a collision between two cars or light trucks, one or both of the following generally happens:
– Hit and run
The weight, speed, direction, and weight of the vehicle all contribute to the intensity of these forces. Sometimes, minor property damage causes serious health concerns.
The majority of these collisions involve commercial vehicles, such as 18-wheelers, buses, or trucks carrying hazardous materials. It is mandatory for commercial drivers to follow rigorous guidelines, and anyone could be held responsible for a collision. To ensure that the appropriate persons are held accountable, there will need to be strong representation in these complex cases. Do not suffer in silence. Call the Atlanta 18-wheeler accident attorney experts.
The majority of cars on the road are large and heavy, so riding a motorcycle can be dangerous.
Cycling is a great way to get some exercise or get to the shop fast, but it can be dangerous when you’re on a busy road. A negligent motorist may be held liable for your injuries.
Aren’t we putting ourselves at risk by writing about these events? Getting hit by a car or being in a traffic jam can make walking around more dangerous.
Your health deserves a certain amount of attention when it comes to caring for it. If your provider harms you, the results can be irreversible.
Nursing Home Abuse
We understand how difficult it can be to watch a loved one suffer abuse, no matter how difficult it may be for us to discuss. We recommend contacting us if your loved one shows signs of distress, has physical markings that appear suddenly, or is missing money after undergoing nursing care. Do not hesitate to reach out to an Atlanta nursing home abuse attorney that will fight for your loved one. Abuse should never be tolerated.
The disrepair of a property may be the source of a trip and fall accident. Railings that have been shattered, obstructed paths, and ruined carpeting can all cause a slip and fall.
It is tragic when someone loses their life due to a personal injury. If you take legal action, it will not bring your loved one back, but you will be able to seek justice and accountability. This is why it is vital to seek out a professional Atlanta wrongful death attorney.
Depending on the circumstances, you may be entitled to compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering caused by someone else’s negligence. Contact Issa & Castro now for a free case consultation to learn more about your rights and how much your lawsuit is worth.
we're ready to fight for you
Ok, what kinds of expenses could I recover?
Take the usual precautions: it depends. We look at a variety of factors in every case, such as policy limits, property damage, your injuries, and what the future holds for you based on medical evaluations. We will consider the following general expenses in every case:
- Doctor’s office visits
- Diagnostic tests (X-ray, MRI, CT scan, etc.)
- Physical therapy
- Medical devices (crutches, neck braces, scooters, etc.)
- Prescriptions and over-the-counter medication
- Lost wages
- Potential future income lost
- Caretakers or help getting around
- Emotional and physical pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Trying to analyze your own case may cause you to overlook something important or account for something that the law does not consider. Either way, it’s a good idea to have a case evaluation in order to determine how much money your case is worth.
Wait. What do you mean pain and suffering can be compensated?
A nagging injury drains your energy and threatens your mental health. Because so much of your life revolves around your injury, you grieve what was, and you suffer the pain of what you can’t do. Injuries can have serious consequences for sleep, anxiety, and depression. This is pain and suffering.
To determine the value of your claim, the insurance company will examine your case and use a set of averages. It’s not something we’re going to do. When fighting for your compensation and recovery, we will consider your narrative and circumstances.
The insurance company offered a settlement.
It seems pretty good. Should we take it?
At this point, you might guess that we will answer, “it depends on the details of your case.”
Personal injury claims are one-and-done events, and we can be sure of that. If you accept a settlement offer and later require more medical care, you cannot request additional money. Personal injury lawsuits are not the same as having dinner with Grandma. Make sure an offer is both present and future-oriented before you accept it.
If you hire us, we will offer you legal advice, negotiate on your behalf, and do everything we can to protect your legal rights. Our firm will represent you in court if the insurance company continues to mistreat you.
Alright, what can I do to help my case?
In the same way that documentation is to your claim, food is to a party: It’s not essential, but it would make the event pointless without it. In other words, keep a detailed record of everything.
Put these at the top of your list:
- Using your smartphone, take photos or videos of everything around you. In addition to your car, the other vehicle, the roadway, signage, and any other shattered objects, we mean the entire scene.
- Be on the lookout for dashcams, security cameras, or cameras on the sides of the road. You must, however, act quickly with this one because the footage may be erased soon. Get in touch with us as soon as possible so that we can help you obtain these recordings.
- Personal information for anyone who witnessed the incident. Record a statement if possible
- The other driver’s info, including their name, phone number, and insurance details
- How to get ahold of your insurance company
- Your medical provider’s information and all charges
- Additional costs, such as riding in an emergency vehicle, time taken off work (including sick leave and vacation time), and time you couldn’t go to work, alterations to your home, and any equipment you needed to buy, such as walking boots, crutches, or walkers.
People closest to you are often the first to notice changes in your mood, sleep, or appetite.
- Let’s say your injuries have caused you to become forgetful. Suddenly, you don’t remember where you put your keys, what someone just said, or who your coworker is. As adults, any of those things is an expected part of life. Taking all of these things into consideration over time, however, may indicate a brain injury. Therefore, you should get out your phone and scribble or dictate a note about what happened.
- Be aware of your emotions. Almost no one is completely in balance all of the time, so expect some ups and downs during the day. You may want to observe any extreme reactions or extreme responses that seem out of proportion to the situation.
- Always keep your balance, your five senses, and your coordination in mind. Have you been dropping things more rapidly than usual? Do you have difficulty writing or typing? Are you having trouble tying your shoes or buttoning your pants? Does walking seem more difficult to you now? Pay attention to these details.
We can use this information to better understand your injuries and what you’ve gone through, which could lead to you receiving fair compensation.
What should I say to my insurance company?
In spite of appearing to be on your side, your insurance company almost certainly has a profit motive. It is imperative that you submit a police report without revealing any medical information, fault, or background information. Make a recorded statement after consulting an attorney.
Here are the dos and don’ts of talking to your insurance company:
- Don’t give a recorded statement without consulting an attorney
- Don’t offer details about your health
- Don’t say you’re “fine” or “ok” or “feeling great today.”
- Don’t tell your story
- Don’t say anything like “I wasn’t paying attention” or “I don’t know what happened”
- Don’t accept any offers without consulting an attorney
- Don’t post on social media
For more information about your rights, contact personal injury lawyers Issa & Castro.
For example, state the facts: “I was traveling 54 miles per hour east around 5:00 pm when I was hit by Mr. Smith’s vehicle on the driver’s side.”
How soon should I file a claim?
Personal injury claims must be filed within two years, and property damage claims must be filed within four years in Georgia. But why should you wait so long? The further away from the events you are, the less likely you are to remember them. It raises eyebrows when a claim is made years after the actual event.
What should I look for when I want to hire a personal injury lawyer?
One thing we must remember is that it is impossible to do a good deal with a bad partner. Consider the following when looking for a solid representation:
- Does this lawyer seem to genuinely care about your case? If you’re looking for legal representation, then you have a lot of options to choose from, so trust your instincts. You’ve handled the most important aspect of safety and trust when you feel like you matter to your lawyer.
- What does your advisor say to you? Even though it may seem strange to ask such a question, many people use legal terminology. Once your lawyer can communicate clearly and directly with you, you’ve mastered the third phase: Communication that is clear and direct.
- Are you the topic of discussion with your attorney? Let’s face it, and it’s your case and your life; thus, it’s about you. Does your lawyer ask you about your health and experience? Do you think they might be interested in what you have to say? You have a third reason to deal with your lawyer if you keep the conversation focused on you: they are invested in the outcome.
You can count on us to deliver a final product that you are happy with. As we fight with a purpose to make you whole, we will use strategy and empathy to help you. Call or text 770-LAWSUIT to arrange your free case evaluation.