Serious injuries can result from car accidents. A traumatizing event can leave you feeling out of control. The injuries you have sustained will likely cause you pain. Therefore, you will have to worry about paying expensive medical bills, as well as how you will provide for your family – especially if you cannot work.
All of these things can happen as a result of accidents, and the afflicted may have difficulty seeing a way out. Your car needs to be fixed, your neck needs to be examined, and you have to take some days off work. Car accidents can also result in confusion and stress.
Here’s what to do after you’ve been involved in or injured in a car accident:
Take a few deep, steady breaths. To control your nervous system and produce a sensation of peace, try to focus your attention on your breath and in the present moment.
Examine your physical and mental well-being. If you’ve been hurt, get medical help right away. Some injuries to soft tissue and/or the brain have undetected symptoms, so your damage may not be visible immediately away. And, because the shock of the accident can often mask the pain you’re experiencing, don’t be shocked if you’re still sore a day or two later. Go ahead and get checked out by a doctor. Give us a call if you’re not sure where to go. We’ll put you in touch with a medical professional who can assist you.
Police should be notified of the collision. Call 911 if there are any injuries. If not, dial (706) 821-1080, the Augusta police department’s non-emergency line. If you’re on a state highway, contact the nearest Georgia State Patrol office.
Discover the names of the players. What’s the name of the other driver? What is the number on their driver’s license? What kind of vehicle did they have? What is the name of their insurance company? Who was there to witness the collision? Obtain as much information as possible on the other parties involved. You’ll need them.
Make a call to work and inform them of your predicament. “Hey, I was in a vehicle accident, and I’m going to see a doctor.” I’ll give you a call at the end of the day to update you on my situation. “I’m not coming in today.”
Before you report the collision to your insurance company, call Augusta’s car accident lawyers Issa & Castro. Why? Because insurance companies, including your own, are more concerned with safeguarding their pockets than with protecting your health. You’ll be asked to provide a recorded statement, and investigators are trained to ask questions that don’t reveal the whole story—leading them to undervalue your case.
How much is your case worth?
We all know that lawyers are known for publicizing their multimillion-dollar deals. We know from experience that such people would gladly trade the money for their health and mobility any day of the week. Nonetheless, the costs of an accident are high, and you deserve to be compensated for something you did not cause.
So, how much is your lawsuit really worth? “It depends” is a common response from a car accident lawyer. We’re not attempting to avoid answering your question. It really is up to you. Because insurance policy limits and crash conditions differ, and each case is unique. And depending on the lawyer you question, you can get a different answer.
One of our clients received the news that their case was worth $0. We settled the same case, and it was resolved for $1,000,000. Is this something that happens frequently? Will it be the case for you? It depends. The only way to know for sure is to speak with a car accident lawyer.
We provide free case evaluations using Zoom, so you don’t have to leave your house to meet with us. We’ll listen to your story and give you our view based on nearly two decades of experience and expertise in nearly every Georgia county courtroom.
we're ready to fight for you
Ok, but how much do you charge after the free consultation?
We provide contingency-based services, meaning we don’t get paid until you do.
We work on a contingency basis, which means we are only paid if you are victorious. That way, we can work on what’s best for you: managing your case to maximize your recovery. Without asking you a dime, we’ll put our knowledge, skill, and resources to work for you straight away, providing documentation, investigation, and negotiation.
Call or text 770-LAWSUIT to schedule your free case consultation now if you’d like to learn more about what aggressive and empathetic representation can provide for you after a vehicle accident.
Couldn’t I just handle this on my own?
You can, of course, contact the insurance company and file a claim. You can make an appointment with your doctor by calling him or her. You have the option of approving or rejecting any offer that comes your way. You do not need the services of an attorney. This is not to say that you shouldn’t hire one.
Here’s how lawyers like us can help.
What happens to your car and your body after a car accident is merely the tip of the iceberg. One of our customers was involved in a minor crash and had no visible injuries, but his condition progressed to severe neck pain, which restricted his mobility.
While things may appear to be fine right now, we want to know what kind of long-term consequences this event may have. We’ll communicate with your medical professionals to ensure that your health is preserved both now and in the future.
You’ll also have to spend money on things like repair services or doctor appointments. You will lose money if you miss work. You must pay for any therapy or medication that is prescribed to you. We can assist you in monitoring and retrieving these costs so that your finances are not harmed.
We’ll also speak with the insurance companies on your behalf, so you don’t have to be anxious about saying something incorrect. You’ll be stress-free, allowing you to recover as we preserve your short- and long-term interests.
We’ll help you build a stronger case by preparing it as though we’re going to trial. Don’t get too agitated over it; most disputes are settled without going to court. However, we are not going to approach your case as if it is going to be resolved. We’ll prepare as if your case will be heard in court. This guarantees that you have aggressive representation, which is constantly prepared to take on the insurance company on your behalf.
We’ll keep your mind at ease. Personal injury cases are difficult to navigate, and numerous decisions must be taken along the road, each with its own set of ramifications. We’ll provide you with strategic advice, so you know how to say yes or no to any offers that come your way, including the option of settling or going to trial.
I’m interested. What kinds of cases do you handle?
We specialize in the strategic resolution of the following issues:
In the event of a collision between two cars or light trucks, one or both of the following generally happens:
– Hit and run
The intensity of each of these is determined by a variety of factors, including vehicle weight, speed, and direction of movement. Minor property damage might sometimes have serious health concerns.
The majority of these collisions involve a commercial vehicle, such as an 18-wheeler, a bus, or a vehicle transporting hazardous materials. Commercial drivers are supposed to follow strict restrictions, and blame for a collision may fall on many parties. These are complicated cases, and you’ll need aggressive representation to ensure the right people are held accountable.
Riding a motorbike exposes you to a variety of dangers, as the majority of cars on the road are bigger and heavier.
While riding a bicycle is a terrific way to get some exercise or make a quick run to the store, it can be dangerous when you’re on a major highway. A negligent motorist may be held liable for your injuries even if they breached a traffic safety law.
Isn’t it true that as we write about these types of situations, we’re putting ourselves in more danger? When it comes to vehicles and traffic, walking about can be more hazardous than it should be.
You have every right to demand a certain level of care when it comes to your health. When your provider injures you, your life can be irrevocably changed.
Nursing Home Abuse
As difficult as it is for us to discuss, we understand the misery of watching a loved one become a victim of abuse. You should contact us if your elderly relative shows signs of discomfort, has physical markings that arise unexpectedly or is missing money after spending some time in nursing care. No one should be exposed to the misery of abuse.
If a property is in disrepair, it may provide a risk of trips and falls. A slip and fall that results in harm could be caused by things like shattered railings, obstructed sidewalks, or damaged carpeting.
Death as a result of a personal injury is terrible. While legal action will not bring your loved one back, it will provide a way to justice and accountability.
You might be entitled to claim medical bills, lost wages, and damages for pain and suffering if you were injured as a result of someone else’s negligence. Schedule a free case consultation with Issa & Castro today to discover more about your rights and how much your case is worth.
we're ready to fight for you
Ok, what kinds of expenses could I recover?
The standard precaution applies: it depends. Every case has its own set of variables to consider, such as policy limits, property damage, the severity of your injuries, and what the future might hold for you based on medical assessments. Here are some of the expenses we’ll think about in general:
- Doctor’s office visits
- Diagnostic tests (X-ray, MRI, CT scan, etc.)
- Physical therapy
- Medical devices (crutches, neck braces, scooters, etc.)
- Prescriptions and over-the-counter medication
- Lost wages
- Potential future income lost
- Caretakers or help getting around
- Emotional and physical pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Of course, each of them must be related to the law, so if you try to assess your own situation, you might forget something essential or account for something that the law does not. In either scenario, it’s wise to seek a case evaluation to figure out how much your case is worth.
Wait. What do you mean pain and suffering can be compensated?
It takes a toll on your energy and mental health while you’re injured. A lot of your life revolves around the injury, and you’re feeling the loss of what was and the grief of what you can’t do. We must not neglect the effects of injuries on sleep, anxiety, and depression. That is suffering and pain.
The insurance company will examine your case and calculate the worth of your claim using a set of averages. But we’re not going to do it. Your story and circumstances will be properly considered as we fight for the compensation and recovery you deserve.
The insurance company offered a settlement.
It seems pretty good. Should we take it?
You may probably guess that we’ll answer “it depends on the details of your case” at this point.
What we can tell with certainty is that personal injury claims are a one-and-done affair. You can’t go back and ask for more money if you accept an offer and then need more medical attention for your injuries, which costs more time and money. Personal injury cases aren’t the same as having dinner with Grandma. So, before you accept an offer, make sure it covers both the now and the future.
If you hire us, we’ll provide you with advice, negotiate on your behalf, and do everything we can to protect you under the law. If the insurance company still isn’t treating you properly, we’ll take your case to court and fight for you.
Alright, what can I do to help my case?
Food is to a party what documentation is to your claim: It’s not compulsory, but without it, the whole thing would be a failure. To put it another way, document everything.
Put these at the top of your list:
- Take out your smartphone and capture everything with photos and/or video. And by everything, we mean the scene; property damage to your vehicle, the other vehicle, the roadway, signage, or other items that have been broken. Don’t be scared to speak up! You can’t get enough of this stuff, just like you can’t get enough potato chips.
- Check for dashcams, security cameras, or roadside cameras. However, you must be quick with this one because the footage might be deleted shortly. Please contact us as soon as possible so that we can assist you in obtaining these recordings.
- Personal information for anyone who witnessed the incident. Record a statement if possible
- The other driver’s info, including their name, phone number, and insurance details
- How to get ahold of your insurance company
- Your medical provider’s information and all charges
- Any extra expenses you incur, such as riding in an emergency vehicle; the hours you had to take off work (including sick and vacation time), the hours you couldn’t get to work, and so on; modifications to your living space; and any devices you had to purchase, such as walking boots, crutches, or walkers.
Oh, and keep a careful record of your health if you want to take your party feast – we mean documentation – to the next level. People close to you are usually the first to notice changes in your mood, sleep, or appetite.
- Let’s say you’re forgetful as a result of your injuries. You can’t remember where you put your keys, can’t recall what someone said only a few moments ago, or can’t remember your coworker’s name. Any one of those things is an expected aspect of being an adult on its own. However, taking all of these factors into account over time could suggest a brain injury. So take out your phone and scribble or dictate a note describing what happened.
- Pay attention to how you’re feeling. Few of us are perfectly balanced all of the time, so expect some ups and downs during the day. Simply take note of any extremes or responses that look out of proportion to the circumstances.
- Pay attention to your balance, your five senses, and your coordination. Are you dropping things at a higher rate than usual? Do you find it difficult to write or type? Do you have trouble tying your shoes or buttoning your pants? Is walking causing you more difficulty than it used to? Keep an eye on these details.
This type of data can help us get a better picture of your injuries and what you’ve been through, which could be the key to obtaining a fair settlement for you.
What should I say to my insurance company?
Your insurance provider may appear to be on your side, but it’s most likely a for-profit firm with a profit motive. You want to file a police report, but you don’t want to disclose any information about your health, fault, or backstory. Give a recorded statement only after consulting with an attorney.
Here are the dos and don’ts of talking to your insurance company:
- Don’t give a recorded statement without consulting an attorney
- Don’t offer details about your health
- Don’t say you’re “fine” or “ok” or “feeling great today”
- Don’t tell your story
- Don’t say anything like “I wasn’t paying attention” or “I don’t know what happened”
- Don’t accept any offers without consulting an attorney
- Don’t post on social media
Please contact Augusta’s personal injury lawyers Issa & Castro, to protect your interests. Do provide details, such as “about 5:00 p.m., I was traveling 54 miles per hour east when my automobile was struck on the driver’s side by Mr. Smith’s vehicle.”
How soon should I file a claim?
You have two years in Georgia to pursue a personal injury claim and four years to pursue a property damage action. But why should you wait? The further away you are from the events, the less likely you are to recall. When a claim is brought years after the fact, it raises some questions.
What should I look for when I want to hire a personal injury lawyer?
Aside from the degrees and awards that most of us have, there is one rule to remember: You can’t do a good deal with a bad partner. When you’re seeking solid representation, keep the following in mind:
- Do you have the impression that this attorney actually cares about you? We understand that you have a lot of options when it comes to hiring an attorney, so trust your instincts. You’ve addressed the most crucial aspect: safety and trust if you feel like you matter and your story is relevant when you’re with your lawyer.
- Are you following what your counsel is saying? It may seem odd to ask such a question, but we are aware that many people utilize legal jargon. If your lawyer can communicate with you in a clear and direct manner that you understand, you’ve mastered the following step: clear and direct communication.
- Is your lawyer bringing you up in the conversation? It’s your case and your life at the end of the day. Therefore it’s all about you. Is your attorney asking you questions about your health and experience? Is what you have to say of interest to them? You have a third reason to work with your lawyer if they keep the dialogue centered on you: they are invested in your case.
Our goal is to produce a result that makes you smile. As we battle with a purpose to make you whole, we’ll put strategy and empathy to work for you. To schedule your free case review, call or text 770-LAWSUIT.